Friday, January 9, 2009

The Day in the Garage


-J- had this great idea for Christmas presents for the girls this year. He wanted to give them a tool kit. You know screwdrivers, hammer, wrenches, and so on. You see, whenever -J- is working on a project in the garage, the girls are front and center wanting to be working on projects too. They glean any scrap of wood they can and then the creations begin. With hammers a tappin' they'll create dog houses, cat houses, Barbie huts, and once they even made a full scale floor plan for their dream playhouse out of garden stakes.

So my dear husband furthered the gift by making a wood project to be given with the tool kits that they could assemble. He decided on a "dresser-top organizer". A container to hold books, CDs, and nick-nacks...oh...I mean precious treasures. You know those things that children all cling to: that special rock from the playground, the old gum ball machine ring found half buried in the dirt at the park two years ago, the 50 acorns collected in the fall to feed the squirrels with sometime this winter. The trinkets vary, but every kid has them. As a mother I tend to look over the vastness of my children's precious treasures and I think, "Look at all this clutter!" and then slowly I remember the rocks and paper horses and pig key chains that "cluttered" my room growing up and realize that those precious treasures were forerunners to the things that would later shape the interests and ambitions of my future. Maybe if I peered closely at my children's treasures I'd have a glimpse into whom my children may become.

Wow! Now there were some random thoughts. Back to the wood project. -B- was especially into wanting to do the project. She didn't care if it was only 5 degrees in the garage. She wanted to get started. -J- got the wood stove going (this probably brought the garage up to 25 degrees) and they got started.

Check out the concentration on -B's- face. She is actually quite good when it comes to hammer and nail skills.


Next came some assembly to make the storage spaces for all the afore mentioned treasures.


She chose her colors and the design. Interior dots were all the rave this year.


What an excellent dresser-top storage container. All are feeling good about a project well done.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Looks Great! I am de-cluttering as well, hoping the kids won't notice a few things are missing from the process. Maybe I will have to build some organizers too!

Lowd and Proud said...

I've got you linked in. Good job on the blog, and look at all your comments. Way to go!!! Talk to you later.

Chris said...

Will -B- make her cousin Elsa a doll house? We made a very simple one that she LOVES out of cardboard, and we don't have the garage, skills, or tools to build our own wood one. Oh, and 25 degrees sounds pretty warm to me!

The Fun Carter Family said...

Send them to my house. I have some projects they can do! :0